The Software Development Process is an organized, systematic approach to developing software. It’s an organized pathway traveled together by both the client and a software development team. The development cycle is an upward spiral that allows for discovery, new growth, consideration of new ideas, inspiration and change.
The process begins when a client approaches a development team with an idea for a new ‘digital mousetrap’. It’s critical that the software team listen to all the concerns of the client. These may include a timetable, budget concerns, support, logistics and so on. In turn, the clients must understand that the development team will do everything in their power to assist them.
During your application’s development, you will encounter numerous pressures that will divert you from your end goal. It is critical that you have a focused plan and a development team who can appreciate these concerns. A solid team will keep your project focused toward a specific goal.
The Software Development Process includes the:
- development phase – it starts as an idea, quickly followed by an analysis; quality standards are established; specific goals are set.
- design phase – you’ll discuss form, function and the delegation of duties.
- implementation phase – The actual program code is written during the implementation phase.
- testing and verification phase – after the development team has a working copy of the project, they will usually issue it out to a limited group for beta testing. Here, they gather data on what works and what can be refined. Quality standards are met.
- documentation phase – here the data is brought together and assessments are made.
- maintenance phase – this is the longest phase. It consists of the constant updating of the program and customer management. This phase continues long after the final release of the project.
The key to success is open communication.
The process is often met with long hours, varied opinions, and strong emotions for a project. This mixture of blood, sweat and tears is critical to the creative process. For as much as a client is passionate about the function of an application, the creative team has similar motivations. They view the project from the inside-out. Ones and zeros take on form, function and texture.
It is this marriage of visions that brings life to the original idea. Each project is more than just the sum total of the various parts. The project evolves with each new idea, inspiration, and dream. Contact Colure’s Development Team to discuss bringing your software dreams to life.
App Store Optimization (ASO) is the act of improving the visibility of an app amongst the competition.
Proper marketing for your application is critical to your business’ success. Customers must be able to
easily find your app, and have all of their questions answered within a very limited space.
According to a 2013 Forrester Research report, 63% of apps are located in app store searches.
Today’s app marketplace is ruled by two major app stores – Google Play and the Apple Store.
Millions of apps are being marketed to an ever growing audience. How you position yourself against
the competition can determine your success in the marketplace.
Before you start, you must have a crystal clear vision of your company, your application’s functions,
your specific audience, and the mechanisms you’ll use to bring those parties together. The way in
which you craft the release of your new application is as critical as the design of the application itself.
These are a few key themes for your app store listing:
- Optimize your Title – be sure that the title is clean and simple. This is the biggest opportunity to describe your application and its function to the audience. Try to keep it under 25 characters. It’s tempting to be ‘cute’ with an app name. Be sure you keep your focus when you select the name.
- Optimize your Keywords – Separate all keywords with commas, no spaces. Be sure to leave no empty spaces in keywords area. Empty spaces are wasted characters – don’t waste opportunities to squeeze in possibly one more word into the keyword area. Maximize your searchability with crafted words.
- Description – This is your key opportunity to explain your app to the world. Be sure that you are focused in your words. Check the limits for text allowed in each posting. If you need, hire someone who writes professionally, to maximize this opportunity. Here, you must be crystal clear with your customer. Be sure to address the ASO needs of both your human and search engine audiences.
- Unique Icon – Each app should have a unique visual icon that identifies the application. Try to avoid words in the icon.
- Screenshots – Most customers examine the screenshots to see if they like the ‘feel’ of the app’s layout.
- Fill out the “What’s New” area – Update this area frequently, as changes are made to your app. This demonstrates that you are actively listening to the needs of the customers and the industry.
- Preview everything – Be sure the layouts are displayed the way you intended, before publication.
These are the foundations for any ASO effort. Be sure that you enter the marketplace with a strong
footing. Contact the Colure staff about both building and marketing your next mobile application.